Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Friday, September 20, 2013

A different perspective

The two most neglected areas of scrolled bowls tend to be the top and bottom edges of the rings.

It takes a lot of patience to get the top rim evenly thinned and shaped.  And the lower edge of the bottom ring, which can't be sanded after the base is glued on, is often a nightmare.  Take off too much wood and you can't glue the base on.  I've found that sanding that ring upside down makes it easier to see the actual shape and where work needs to be done.

Just for fun, I shot pictures of two recent bowls from the top.  The effect is quite interesting and you can clearly see the shaping of the bottom ring.  I'm always very relieved when that part is done, since it's easy to lose control of the rings and have it snag on the sander and go flying.  Even if no one else notices, it's nice to be satisfied with the finished job.



2 comments:

  1. beautiful and I'm going to attempt bowls and boxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're lots of fun to do, and don't use a lot of wood. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help out.

    ReplyDelete