For the past week, I've been working on a new bowl shape that I've been wanting to try for some time. It's been an exercise in frustration, but I think it's going to work out. First try, I discovered that my pattern was lopsided. Of course I didn't notice this until I had cut a full set of rings. It was not lopsided enough to be interesting--just looked weird! Designer firewood for sure!
Second attempt ended when the first ring for the bottom half of the bowl split just after it was cut. I was using Philippine mahogany, which is very porous, for the prototype, and there was a defect in the wood. I was afraid that even if I glued it together, it would break under the pressure of the bowl press. More designer firewood!
So, I gave it a third attempt. Unfortunately, the only remaining wood I had was not a good match for the top set of rings, but I was desperate. So far, so good, but I've gone through just about every sander I own to get the shape I wanted. I'm now looking into some small power carving tools, since my sanders are not small enough and take too long to remove the wood.
Once the bowl is finished, I'll post it, along with some process pictures. It's been a challenge, but points to some interesting possibilities for scrollers looking for some new ideas to play with.