Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mini round inflatable in action!

I finally had a chance to try out the new mini round inflatable, the latest in King Arthur's Tools  Guinevere line-up.  It looked so tiny chucked into the drill press, but worked just fine.  I had a little trouble inflating it, until I realized that I needed to tighten the nut on top with a wrench, not just with my fingers.



I had one specific use in mind--to sand the inside of a tight curve without sanding wood off the gluing edge.  Since the new project I'm working on curves inward, I sanded the rings in stages for easier access.  This left gluing edges susceptible to damage, and demanded real care.  I'm pleased to say that the mini came through with flying colors.  I have some other uses in mind, but those will just have to wait their turn.  It's fairly pricey for such a small sander, but the curved lower edge makes it unique, and invaluable.


2 comments:

  1. Carole do you find the inflatable ball sanders are good to use on the drill press? or easier to use with the flex shaft? Oh yeah nice to see that you are up and running again in the new shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I think it's not an either-or situation. The drill press allows me to use both hands to position the bowl, but I have to be careful not to damage the top edge with the drill chuck. This limits how deeply I can sand into the interior of the bowl. However, I do have a dust collection system set up, which isn't perfect, but does pick up quite a bit of the dust.

    I've just started using the flex shaft, and I have to figure out the best way to stabilize the bowl. It gives me maximum access to the interior, but there's no easy way to contain the dust. I also have the chuck attached to the SandFlee, which has a horizontal orientation, and I use that when I can to save wear and tear on the drill press.

    So, there are 3 options, and one of them will be the best for each situation.

    And yes, it's great to be making sawdust again!

    ReplyDelete