Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Plywood experiments


One of the scroll saw forum members send me an article about wood turning with plywood, and I decided to adapt the concept for the scroll saw. I selected pieces of 3/4" plywood without gaps and got to work. This is my first project, using teak as the main wood, and although plywood is not my favorite material, it's quick and easy to use, and quite interesting. I'm just starting my experiments, and am looking forward to seeing how they work out.

2 comments:

  1. Carole
    The Plywood Experiments Bowl is very attractive. Can you give us more about the plywood and its orentation? The top rim looks a little like it was sawn in strips, turned 90 degrees then glued back together. The center band I'm just not sure about. Any help?
    Thanks
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, the center band consisted of 3/4" wide strips of 3/4" plywood, glued around an octagon. If you have my book, refer to the footed candy dish for instructions on how to do the glue-up. The plywood was glued with the layers facing upward. A single ring was cut from the glue-up, as large as possible, cut vertically on both sides, but sanded at a 25˚ angle from the midpoint on the outer edge. This was then glued to two 1/4" wide rings cut from blanks at a 25˚ angle.

    The top rim consisted of 3/4" wide strips of 3/4" plywood cut in half and glued up edge to edge to form a flat piece. A circle was cut from the piece to form the rim.

    I know this is sketchy, but full instructions would be very lengthy. Email me if you need more clarification. I'll be posting more about this technique in the future.

    ReplyDelete