Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Service Temperature Range of glue

As I watched the flame flicker on a new project I was testing, I began to wonder whether the slight warming of the wood adjacent to the candle would cause the adhesive to soften and the petals to fall off.

I had a spec sheet for the adhesive that I used, Titebond Instant Bond, that gave the service range for the glue, which is the temperature range it will hold without weakening.  For the Titebond, it was up to 100˚C (212˚F), which was far greater than I needed. The wax used for most tea lights melts at 140˚F, and the candle is surrounded by a metal or plastic cup.

I've seldom need to look at spec sheets, but it never hurts to know as much as you can about the products you use.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment