Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A new use for the Hegner

We're still trying to figure out whether to put the shop in the garage or basement, comparing set-up costs, convenience, etc., so it will still be a while before I can get down to some serious work.

However, that doesn't mean we don't need to have usable tools. Today's project was to convert a single mailbox stand to one that can hold two mailboxes (Post Office regulations--don't ask!).  The only accessible saw was the Hegner, so we plugged it into the garage opener outlet and I made the needed cuts.  Hardly precision work, but shows how versatile the scroll saw can be.  Fortunately, I had some heavy-duty blades on hand, and was actually able to find them amid the mess.  As you can see, we have a way to go, but we're getting there, little by little.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Carole,

    Seeing your Hegner prompts me to ask whether you have made a bowl using a saw with a stationary table and a pivoting head such as the Excalibur? I'd be curious to know if it provides a more stable cutting surface for bowls?

    Reed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed the post--sorry for the delay in responding. I've never used the Excalibur, and I know that folks who have one enjoy the tilting head. I suspect that it does supply a bit more stability, but once you get used to supporting the wood, the tilting table works well.

    Also, since most people have saws with tilting tables, I prefer to take my process shots using a saw of that type for less confusion.

    ReplyDelete