Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Monday, December 26, 2011

A tale of two boxes



I finally finished the project I was working on. I've deliberately hidden the lid, to preserve the surprise when it's published in SSW&C. However, I did take pictures to show you how much better the second box fit the lid than the first. (The first is the top picture.)

Retrofitting the box to the lid, which already had a liner in place, was time-consuming. I cut the inside of the box smaller than it needed to be so I could sand it to exact fit. I also cut the box oversized, so I could trace the perimeter of the lid for a good match. Since the lid came out well, I did not want to disturb it.

The result was a nicely matched box and lid, with a liner so precisely fitted that there is no movement at all with the lid in place. I'm glad I did it, but I'm also glad it's done!

4 comments:

  1. Carole,
    It does not look like you get a lot of comments, at least not recently and that is sad. You do such marvelous work! I have pre-ordered your second book even though I have only made one bowl from your first book. I think I need to start cutting and stop collecting patterns. Anyway, a vote of thanks for the work you do, for the videos and careful instructions you have posted. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. You're right--there's been just about no posting on the blog, which I miss a lot. However, I do get a fair amount of email on the blog address, with questions and comments, so I think folks are looking, just not commenting.

    And I'll just keep right on posting, with or without comments, and will get some new videos out one of these days. Thanks for pre-ordering the second book--there are a lot of fun projects there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautiful! I learned that your book about making boxes is shipping sooner than expected through Amazon, so I'm watching the mail for it, daily! : ) Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, just noticed your comment. Thanks for posting. I try hard not to settle for "good enough" unless I know that I just can't make it better. And if something is going for publication, I'd hate to be embarrassed when the magazine came out.

    ReplyDelete