Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Friday, February 14, 2020

Bending Corian

I never would have thought of doing this until I was introduced to the process known as "thermoforming".  Usually done commercially, it can be done at home, using a 325˚ oven, with timing based on the thickness of the piece.

My first effort was shaped by hand, using oven mitts.  I'm in the process of making a mold to hold the shape until the piece cools.  This process certainly adds an extra dimension to what can be done with Corian, a material that looks like marble, yet can be cut and shaped like wood.



2 comments:

  1. What are you imagining doing with the bent Corian pieces, Carole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just saw your post. I'm sanding it to give it some softness, and using it as the base for a small dish. I'll post a photo so you can see what it looks like. There's an article that will be coming out in the scroll saw magazine that's all about working with Corian. Should be out in a few months.

    ReplyDelete