Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Monday, January 6, 2020

A useful addition to my finishing supplies

I've recently added a new piece of equipment to my finishing supplies, which has proven to be a big time and work saver.

My go-to finish these days is shellac, sometimes followed by coats of spray lacquer.  Since I never use sprays in the shop, my winter finish is brush-on shellac.  I start with a one pound cut, then add additional coats of either one- or two-pound cut, buffing between coats with a well-worn 320 grit sanding mop.  This creates a soft, deep shine.

The new addition is a headlamp whose light can be aimed in three different positions.  The light reflects the shine off the bowl, and easily shows up any missed spots or sags.  It also keeps my hands free to rotate the bowl, although I think my next addition will be a turntable, rescued from my cake decorating supplies.

You never know where you'll find your next "woodworking tool"!

1 comment:

  1. Woodwick candles are what their name says: a wick made from a tree. Almost all common candles already have wicks made from a plant or animal source.

    ReplyDelete