Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

The versatile sanding mop

I've long used sanding mops to soften edges, as seen in the photo below, or smooth curved surfaces.  Recently, I've expanded their use to dramatically expedite the finishing process of bowls with curved sides.

I start with a sealer coat of thinned shellac, brushed carefully on all surfaces.  When dry, I sand the bowl with a foam-backed 320 grit pad, then buff vigorously with a well-worn, small 320 grit sanding mop.  I reapply the shellac, and buff again until the bowl feels silky and has a soft sheen.  For a more formal look, I spray on a coat of gloss lacquer.  Depending on the type of wood, that may be all that's needed, or a second coat of lacquer may be desired.

Quick, easy, and very effective!

2 comments:

  1. I've never really tried these sanding mops.Everything else you recommend seem to have worked out very well, so will have to give this a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're useful to remove "fuzzies" and to smooth curved surfaces. My use to buff wood and finishes is not typical, but I find that it works very well. Sometimes an initial sanding with 320 grit is necessary for wood with a rougher grain.

    I also use a MacMop, which has long "fingers" which get into irregular spaces very nicely. When new, they are quite aggressive and need to be broken in on scrap wood.

    Be sure to practice on scrap first, since wood that's removed is tricky to replace. :)

    ReplyDelete