Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tile for Charity Quilt for Japan


Members of my scroll saw forum were asked to volunteer to create a 4" x 4" x 1/2" wood tile that would be joined to others at the corners to form a quilt. This quilt is to be auctioned, and the proceeds will be donated to help the recovery efforts in Japan.

I decided to do something different from my usual work, and cut out a fretwork pattern in 1/4" thick circle of bloodwood. This was glued to two pieces of maple, one solid and one with a circular opening cut out for the bloodwood. I filled in the spaces with Inlace, then sanded and lacquered the piece. Although it still takes me several tries until all the spaces are completely filled, I think it was worth the effort.

Inlace is not inexpensive, but it goes a long way, and the effect is really dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing what the quilt looks like once it's completed, with every square different.

No comments:

Post a Comment