Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

How do you price your work?

Last week, while visiting friends in southern Vermont, I brought some of my bowls to the owner of a really high end crafts store in Brattleboro. I've not yet sold any of my work, but my house is getting very crowded, and something will need to be done pretty soon.

I took home all their paperwork, which gives commission rate, policies, etc., and there was nothing there that was objectionable, but my biggest stumbling block is how to price my work. Since pricing ultimately depends on what people are willing to pay, I've always been stumped by how to figure this out. Sometimes I'm tempted just to give things away to people who like them. That's why writing books and articles is so pleasant for me--I can make stuff, get paid for my work, and don't have to worry about sales.

It can't be rocket science, and obviously other people have done this, but it's always been an issue for me.


2 comments:

  1. Carole, I have been making and selling scrolled work for over 20 odd years and find we just decided to price our items at a price and stuck to it...saying that, we did look at the area we were in and try to come up with a price range others were charging and stay within that. But, that did not work since no one was making what we were. Soooo, we then looked at what other items seemed to sell for and priced our items at what we thought we would be willing to pay for them "if" we did not make them. My wife did that, since women purchase nearly everything we make. I sure got around that question didn't I!! I have asked myself the same question when it comes to making and selling bowls. I have sold some to cheap I know, but others I have sold for over what I thought they should sell for. I would look at the other items selling in the store you will sell at and try to find a price range you would be happy with. Just remember, you can always come down in price, but pretty hard to raise the price once people see what you were charging.

    By the way, if you decide to not sell and give them away, I'll be happy to take one off your hands so I can say I have a bowl that the famous Carole Rothman made!!

    ReplyDelete