Welcome to my blog. Let what you see stimulate your imagination and inspire your own creations.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Just one more cut . . .

I am sure there are many, many sad stories from folks who were tempted to push beyond the point they should have stopped for the day, and ended up either messing up their work, or having an accident.

I was tempted to continue gluing up a decorative blank the other day, but when I thought of all the things that could have gone wrong with just that simple operation, I was glad I stopped.  The wood had to be perfectly aligned, the glue applied evenly, and clamped well in place.  Sounds simple, but under the pressure of getting it done, I could see not checking carefully for alignment, having to undo the clamps to set it right, having to put more glue on, etc. etc.

Those are small stakes compared to what can happen when you rush while using a tool like the table saw, and don't take your usual precautions.  It's so tempting to try to get as much done as possible, but the end of a work session should be just that, with a fresh start next time when you're more willing to take the time to do the job right.

2 comments:

  1. I have often "Over fixed" it, and the result ended in the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's best just to leave things as they are, and come back fresh the next day. Hard to do, but usually the right way to go.

    ReplyDelete